Below, you will find the parameters of our program in the format of frequently asked questions. We have organized the sponsorship program in such a way that it will be of maximum benefit to you and your sponsored child.
If you have any additional questions after reviewing this page, please do not hesitate to contact us (Laura Manship at email@example.com).
- Your monthly financial gift goes directly to offset the cost of education for your sponsored child. It will provide books, educational supplies, and other materials. It will support teacher and personnel salaries. It will make available nutritious meals and snacks during school hours. It will enable other events such as field trips and celebrations.
- As a student at our school your child will receive a high-quality education taught by bilingual teachers with the help of U.S. teaching volunteers, giving them the tools they need to succeed.
- Shoulder to Shoulder has a responsibility to see that your financial gift secures the child´s education and is used in a consistent manner according to the mission of Shoulder to Shoulder and the Good Shepherd Bilingual School. All the funds collected are used for materials, quality books, bilingual teachers and assistants, a mid-day snack, and other items necessary for the functioning of the school. Your donation assures that your sponsored child, regardless of their economic status, is able to attend the school and receive a high-quality, bilingual education.
- Each family with children attending our bilingual school is asked to contribute a set amount towards their child’s education. Those families who express the need for financial support meet with a social worker to determine the extent of their contribution. Sponsors are sought for children if their family is unable to afford the full cost of attendance.
- There are three levels of monthly child sponsorship ($100, $70, $35). It costs $100 per month to provide a quality education to each child in the Good Shepherd Bilingual School. Once a child is sponsored at the $100 level, either through one sponsor or a combination of sponsors, the child is removed from the sponsorship list.
- The Good Shepherd Bilingual School is currently elementary level education from kindergarten through sixth grade. You are welcome and encouraged to continue sponsoring your child through the sixth grade.
- Your child may decide to go on for further education after completing the sixth grade. The child´s family may then apply for scholarship support through Shoulder to Shoulder. If approved, you could decide to continue sponsoring your child´s education through this program.
- Four times a year your child will write you an email. You are unlimited as to how many emails you would like to send to your child. This is done through your online Donor Account page. Simply log-in and click “Send Message.”
- Shoulder to Shoulder considers itself responsible for both you and your sponsored child. Someone from Shoulder to Shoulder will read all email correspondence to insure that the content is appropriate.
- Please note, we do not use physical mail delivery service. It is simply too unreliable for where we are located in Honduras (see “May I send my child a gift?” below for more information).
- Shoulder to Shoulder will translate email correspondence from English to Spanish and Spanish to English as necessary. As your sponsored child advances in his/her capacity for English, the email can be written directly in English. In all correspondence, you will receive both the original and any translation, if necessary. If you have a specific preference for language, please inform us.
- Yes, twice a year you will receive a report on your sponsored child from Shoulder to Shoulder and the Good Shepherd Bilingual School. These reports may include academic reports, photos, school updates, other achievements, etc.
- Sending a physical gift from the United States is both very complicated and risky. There are many things that could go wrong. There may be a major customs tax placed on it, or it may not arrive at all. If, however, you would like to do something particular by way of a gift, you can communicate with Shoulder to Shoulder. We can find out how much a particular item costs down here. Upon your remission, we will be happy to purchase it and give it to your child on your behalf.
- Of course. If you come on a brigade trip, or if you come on your own, you are certainly welcome and encouraged to visit your sponsored child. This would be a special event. It would be imperative, however, that you communicate with us prior to your visit such that we could properly prepare your way.
- Please feel free to contact Paul and Laura Manship, Directors of Communication and Development for Shoulder to Shoulder, at firstname.lastname@example.org